Review: Elastic Shoelaces

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 5/5

They're stretchy and they've got lumps! I have a running background and these are my first set of elastic laces so I am comparing these to regular laces rather than other styles of elastic laces. My multi-sport experience is mainly made up of social aquathons, duathlons and some social triathlons. I have used these laces for a 5k run along undulating paths as part of a social sprint-distance tri and first impression is very positive. The laces were quite quick to fit - adjusting the tension is made easy by the lumps which provide some extra friction through the eyelets. There is enough friction that no toggle is needed to keep the laces tight. I wasn't quite sure what to do with the extra length and ended up just leaving it to dangle which seemed to work just fine (it was about 8cm for my shoes so no risk that I would trip up on them). The feel of the shoes is quite different with these laces but not at all bad. The laces actually feel tighter and firmer around my toes so the shoe feels totally secure and stable. y foot did not slide or move in the shoe at all. At the same time the laces feel looser and more comfortable over the top of my foot. For even surface running this was ideal. I think that I would prefer a different setup for running on uneven terrain - probably I could tighten the top section of the laces to get maximum stability. Anyway, big thumbs up from me - these could replace the regular laces in all my road shoes. And they will definitely be helping me with faster transitions in my next event.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 14:15
Hi David,
Thanks for your review about these new laces. Did you know that it is recommended not to "train" in elastic laces? Whilst they are comfortable and necessary for transitions in triathlon racing, they typically don't give enough support to be used for heavy training.

I have to race in my training shoes as do my 2 kids, so the relacing is something I do a lot as I train in standard laces but race in elastic. The big thing this new lace concept gives is the ability to relace frequently without having to constantly trim & struggle with the fraying ends, so that's a big plus for our house-hold. Good luck with your future events!
Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503553