Comment: 2011 Ironman WA Photos & Story

love your quote here michelle, i have been training solo for some time as dont know to many people in the game, my mates think im crazy but hay i got the bug, i raced yesterday in the australia day sprint and scored an age group win, 2nd overall so was happy with that but do prefer the longer distances,,will be going into full swing next week after the busso jetty swim in prep for 70.3 busso, is there any programmes you recommened as im green at the full distance but do have the dedication and the heart to tackle these events, mat
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:10

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:10
Yeah a goal is just a wish if you don't put effort into it eh?! Sounds like you've got some natural talent there but you've set yourself some serious challenges for 2012 and you'll definately need the right approach to balance your enthusiasm with sound training. Did you see the book I had on the stand yesterday called Going Long? You'll pick up some valuable info and you'll find out what you need to do to get through it. I've looked around at download programs, online coaching, squad groups etc and the ideal situation is to be realistic with your own strengths and weakness and educate yourself on the sports science of training principles. The building blocks to any program are based on testing yourself, having a realistic goal, knowing how to structure a training plan that allows your body to be pushed then allowed to adapt to the training, and most importantly to be peaking for the time of the race. All of Joel Friels books outline that process but Going Long is suited to long distance triathlon so that's what I'd pick for you. Having to back up a 70.3 with an IM you'll need adequate R&R inbetween, plus you'll need to watch your nutrition, and injury management if not mental fatigue! I have seen very talented triathletes burnout before the IM by not respecting the whispers our body sends. When it screams its too late (as my yoga teacher says!). There are actually many other very good training books and DVDs in our shop (online), but I'd definately get that one. You can also post any specific questions into our Forum. We also have a list of clubs - not sure where you are located, but its pretty extensive. Maybe you need some training partners too? Anyway, have a browse around the site, there's some great blogs by some of our Members and I"m sure they'd be happy to chat with you too. GO FOR IT!!
Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 548246