2011 Donnybrook Marathon Cancelled

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 08, 2011 at 16:36
ThreadID: 89972 Views:2789 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
NEWSFLASH:
---------------------
It is with great regret that I must advise you the Committee of the Donnybrook Adventure Marathon Relay been left with no choice but to cancel this event after 19 years of existence.

The non-profit event has put thousands of dollars back in to the local community in the areas of St John’s Ambulance, Lions Club, Donnybrook Recreation Centre and many more, over the past few years and it is with great sadness that it has come to an end.

The reason for the demise of this event has been due to huge fiscal pressure caused by ongoing changes rules, regulations and red tape.

This year it was going to cost the committee over $4,500-$6,000.00 for signage just to comply with the road plan related to 50km bike leg, which meant that the event would have to run for the next few years just to cover this debt and not be able to make donations to the community which was a top priority.

There has also been a lack of nominations this year which has placed further pressure upon the organizers as to the viability of the event.

On Behalf of the Committee I would personally like to thank the Lions Club and their wonderful volunteers for their support and commitment to the Donnybrook Marathon.

Kind regards
Chris Cain
President.

-----------------------
Submitted by:
Michelle

Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator