Review: Ironman 70.3 - Training for the Middle Distance

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 4/5

The reason I bought this book is that I have resisted spending money on a coach or training program but despite hours of internet research can't find a practical 70.3 training program targetted for my level. This book has everything I need (I'm an average age-grouper with a 5:35 past performance, aiming for10 mins improvement). Past the first few chapters you get to the "meat" of the book with a dedicated chapter for those just "Training to Finish - 6 hours or more", plus a dedicated chapter "Training for Ambitious Athletes - 5: 50 - 5 hours" (that's for me) and another "Training for performance-oriented athletes - 4:50 - 4:10 hours (if only!). The only negatives I can see in the book is its an American publication so there's a few references and units of measure that need to be converted. The "programs" themselves aren't a fixed day by day guide over 15 weeks, but break the year into training phases and within each phase provides comprehensive details for the training focus with key workouts for the swim, bike and run - with guidelines for the intensity and distance to follow. It does actually give you something to follow daily, once you've worked out what month your 70.3 race is, and what your time goal is, so you would need to be prepared to do a little DIY but that's ideal for me. The final chapters tackle the post-race issues, such as post-race nutrition but also the recovery period, return to training, and a very interesting topic covered in detail about the flow effect... so all in all, a valuable book that I am going to use to build my training program for my 2nd attempt at a 70.3 in May 2012! Can't wait!
Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator