Coast to Coast Training in NZ

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 09:10
ThreadID: 91130 Views:5554 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve tapered off the training over the past few days as I am heading to Christchurch, NZ this Thursday (12/01) to hopefully get in two kayaks down the Waimakariri (Waimak) River, and a mountain run over the Southern Alps of New Zealand, along the Mingha Deception Route. I’m confident I’ve got the right training in, and whilst the weekend trip isn’t designed as a time-trail, but more an orientation, it will be good to perform well!

The program is for a kayak down the Waimak on Friday, mountain run on Saturday, and hopefully back for another kayak on Sunday. It depends on weather, and Sunday is the alternate day for the mountain run if the weather isn’t suitable on Saturday, and apparently some weather is due around that time.

The kayak is around 70 kilometres for each trip, and the run about 30 kilometres.

I will use my Spot tracking device this weekend and you can view my Spot tracking page at the following web-address.

Cheers, Baz

The Landy - Spot Tracking

Cheers, Baz

Cheers, Baz (The Landy)
Winning is an internal game, if you fall, get back up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:40
Hi Baz,
Good luck with this! Sounds awesome. Do you use a Garmin, 'cause you can also load that into your blog. Also, I think if you're registered for EOTrackMe you can get your spot to register into your TO or EO profile pages?? If all too late don't worry, but should be no problem - and David would be very happy to help get that data into your TO profile I'm sure ;-)
Anyway, go DO IT!
Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474564

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:51

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 13:51
Baz, David and I just tried to register your spot device to TO but it doesn't allow you to have the same device registered across 2 websites, but David has offered to solve this for you but changing your device to be registered to TO but then you'd no doubt want it switched back so you can use it for EO. Just send me a yes/no and we can sort it out for you.
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474566

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:51

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:51
Thanks for that, but leave it on EO, as we are heading towards the Vic High country next week.

Be interesting to see if anyone on EO notices 'The Landy' heading down the Waimak River, Landy's are good - and float!

I do have a Garmin so yu can let me know how to share dfata from that??

Cheers, Baz
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749520

Reply By: TriathlonOz - David - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:04

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:04
Good luck Baz, Have a great trip, race and time over on the East Island. We will be watching!
David
If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474580

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:19

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:19
Thanks David...this is the orientation trip, race in another 4 weeks...

cheers,
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749527

Follow Up By: TriathlonOz - David - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:25

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:25
Nice, wish I did this for Vegas. Are you staying for acclimatisation (that would be wonderful) or coming home - I think I know the answer but wouldn't it be ideal and a great way to prepare?
David
If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749528

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:54

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:54
Nah...coming home and going on holidays for a week...plenty of cycling, kayaking, and running.

Cheers
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749591

Reply By: The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:29

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:29
My training in New Zealand was an eye opener!

Unfortunately the weather in the Alpine region where we were training turned bad about the day I arrived, and continued that way until I left. I was able to get the two paddles in, but we weren’t able to do the full river and we had to miss the gorge rapid section both days as the wind was gusting 100 kilometres per hour through the gorge, and the river was very high due to rain. For those familiar with river flows it went from 70 cumecs (cubic metres per second) in the gorge to about 280 on the days we were paddling, between the Friday and the Saturday.

We did the river in two stages both days, the first 15 kilometres, and the last 20 kilometres, transporting the kayaks by car in between. Where we put in on the last section is close to the end of the 25 kilometre gorge section, and the kayaks were almost blowing away when we put them on the river bank. I recall at one stage I was doing around 3 minute kilometres on this section.

And for much the same reasons we had to cancel the run as it was raining / snowing at the top of the mountain run section and the river was impossible to cross in the lower sections. In fact on Friday two separate groups were evacuated out by helicopter, but mind you they shouldn’t have even attempted the run in the conditions that were present and were suffering advanced stages of hyperthermia when rescued.... Welcome to New Zealand!

It wasn’t a total loss as I learnt a lot. For someone who grew up in North Queensland where it never snows (30 degrees everyday), it was a real pointer that Alpine regions deserve a great deal of respect. Fortunately the people I was training with have safety and risk assessment at forefront of mind.

It was good to see sections of the bike ride I will be doing, the transition for the run, and the kayaking that we did was a lot of fun, even managed to stay dry in the rapid sections that we did.

And apologies if you tried to follow on Spot tracking, I forgot to take it!!

We also had two reasonable sized earth tremors while I was there.

Cheers, Baz
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475188