Sunscreen

Submitted: Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:57
ThreadID: 91542 Views:2175 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody recommend a decent sunscreen that will last the duration? I got burnt to a crisp doing my first olympic distance yesterday which meant over 3 hrs in the sun. normal sunscreens are cutting it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - David - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:58

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 14:58
Lee-Ann,
What did you use yesterday. Was it the one supplied at the body marking/rego area or did you bring your own?

I have struggled with this also on the longer races but generally I apply a full cover at home before I leave and then load up with the one supplied at the race.

Do you run with a hat? Is your tri suit/clothes short sleeze or armless? Where did you get burnt?

I reckon you get more burnt after the event during the presentation as the last thing most people do is re-apply after the race, if you hang around for the preso you can be in the sun for another few hours when it is even hotter.

Good question and I will be keen also to see if other have good suggestions.
David
If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476386

Follow Up By: Lee-ann D - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:54

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 16:54
Hi David
I used Auscreen 30+ applied at home, then again before the race. I wear a hat and trisuit is sleeveless which is where I got burnt - arms, shoulders and backs of hands (from tri bars)Even my lips which may have been from the wind. The suncream just doesnt seem to cut it after the swim. Im tempted to smother myself in white zinc!
FollowupID: 751452

Follow Up By: TriathlonOz - David - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:48

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:48
Lee-Ann,
We have received a feedback to you post on Facebook also in which it is written:

Sarah-Jane wrote: "The invisible zinc is amazing..... Easy to apply and it lasts, I used it during Busso IM"

So it looks like the zinc is a good way to go and the invisible zinc will not make you look like a large bird dropping (pardon my sense humour) so that may be a good thing. Sarah-Jane completed recently in the Busso Ironman so she was out in the weather for the whole day.
David

If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751460

Reply By: TriathlonOz - Michelle - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:15

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:15
Ouch, poor thing. Some days no matter what you use you can't get through a few hours of extreme UV attack. I am happy with either the Coles 30+ or the Cancer Council 30+ but I never use sunscreen on my face in a race - I'm too scared it will fog my goggles! The invisible zinc that rubs in easily might be good for you to try?
Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476399

Reply By: Sue R - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 22:16
Hey Lee-ann, In reply to Sarah Jane's post, the invisible zinc is also what I use, especially on my face, just leave a gap around my goggle area, and I never put anything on my forehead, because if I sweat it can run and sting your eyes. I used it on Australia Day, and always use when I am swimming:)
AnswerID: 476421

Reply By: Lee-ann D - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:46
Thanks for that guys. Will give it a go. :0)
AnswerID: 476443