Advice needed for hip pain

Submitted: Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 21:24
ThreadID: 91558 Views:5339 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everyone, I’m new here so hope this isn’t a stupid question. I’m hoping to enter Port Mac 70.3 (entry opens tomorrow yikes). I’ve never run that far and I get sore hips when I run distances over 12 k so what do I do? Do I need to take a supplement or is there a stretch I should be doing and should I use heat packs or ice packs to ease the pain? Sorry for all the questions but don’t know where else to ask and this site looks good. My friends think I’m crazy but I’d really like to see if I can do this. Any advice appreciated.
Suzi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - David - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:28

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 14:28
I-RUN,
Interesting problem I am not a physio or anything and I do not really get this type of pain unless I am pushing a long run. I wonder if you shoes are correct. When every I visit my physio with knee or calf or other pains they always insist I use my orthotics and I must admit once I started using these devices all my pains went away and I was able to much easier get my distances up without any suffering.

May be worth a trip to a physio and see what they say. I would also suggest you take your shoes with you so that they can look at any issues tat may be caused by the shoes.
David
If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476467

Reply By: I-RUN - Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 18:18

Tuesday, Jan 31, 2012 at 18:18
Thanks David, I actually went to a physio today and he found I had one leg a little shorter than the other which is causing the hip problem and he gave me a heel lift pad to try. Here's hoping!
Suzi

AnswerID: 476488

Reply By: TriathlonOz - Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:25

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:25
Hi Suzi,
That's interesting, I too get hip pain after running, usually only happens for longer distances above 12k. My physio says I have "gluteus medius tendonitis" because my hips overcompensate for my tight abductors, so I have to work on that. He says its common in cyclists. I always thought cycling wasn't helping running, but I love both so whaddya do eh?! He also said ice for 15mins after runs and to stop if it hurts, not continue. I often use Voltaren for pain too. I know my problem is a bit different to yours, but it was an interesting post, thanks, oh and good luck with your race. Did you get in??
Michelle

Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476548

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:47

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:47
I suffer from this from time to time, usually left hip, and it is (almost) always caused by tight ‘Glutes’ from weight training.

I use a small medicine ball (1 kg version), sit on it and roll around on all the tight bits, and I find this works a treat.

Cheers, Baz
Cheers, Baz (The Landy)
Winning is an internal game, if you fall, get back up

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751673

Follow Up By: FatFish A - Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:57

Wednesday, Feb 01, 2012 at 12:57
I have a spikey ball, and do the same as Landy. Others use a tennis ball. YouTube has lots of instructional videos for sports injury treatments - try this one YouTube link
John
FollowupID: 751683