Melbourne IM Sells out in 4min 57 seconds - that's NOT good for anyone!

Submitted: Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 14:51
ThreadID: 92899 Views:2163 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In today's big triathlon news, the IM website seems proud of the fact that IM Melb is a sell out quoting:

"When entries for the 2013 Ironman Asia-Pacific Championship Melbourne went on sale this morning it took just 4 minutes 57 seconds to sell out beating the 2012 event which set a world best time last year of 5 minutes and 10 seconds. "This is a great achievement and testament to what an incredible event our team produced last week," said Andrew Messick, Chief Executive Officer of Ironman."

Sorry - but that is rubbish. This rush on entries is creating a problem. And its not just IMM - its IMWA but for 70.3 in WA (we only have 1 in the state for the whole year). Clearly we need more events of both full IM distance and 70.3 distance. And why do people have to commit a year in advance?

Not impressed at all.

Some wish for it, others work for it!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TriathlonOz - David - Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 15:33

Friday, Mar 30, 2012 at 15:33
Not only that but I did not know it was going on sale. I would like one day to be able to enter an event but having to commit to sitting on your computer for the seconds to pass to allow you to enter is just crazy. We need more events to allow everyone to have a go not just those that know the entry date/time and can ensure they are sitting at a computer at the right time, forget taking the kids to school or work or anything.

It is great that these events are well supported by entrants but it is a shame that a great number of everyday athletes will miss out.
David
If it's not hurting your not tri'ing!
---------------------------------------
David Martin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 481872

Reply By: Gilly - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 01:45

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 01:45
I'm in...!
AnswerID: 481943

Follow Up By: Gilly - Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 01:48

Saturday, Mar 31, 2012 at 01:48
BTW, it all happened by chance, as I was wasting time on FB, and read about registration on the Lava Magazine FB post... Destiny.
FollowupID: 757229